Monday, March 19, 2012

“For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

After talking with my family over the weekend I realized I am certainly missing a lot this year (namely a lot of big steps for Dani<3) Dani has a good role in her Madhatters play, she is going to be in our local talent show (the bizz), and she is graduating 5th grade. I will also be missing Jeremy´s high school graduation, and most of my best friend´s graduation.
I missed christmas and thanksgiving. I missed camping trips and family outings. I missed fall. But through all this, I have learned SO much. I have experienced things I could not have experienced in any other way. I know that in order to gain things in life you need to sacrifice. I sacrificed a year with my family to learn a new language and learn a new way of life.
Here are some quirky things I have learned while in Spain:

1. Everything will be okay, I don´t need to stress. If I miss the bus and I am late; if I don´t do as well as I wanted on my test; if plans fall through that I was looking forward to; etc, I can still make it. Being in Spain and the attitude of the people here has taught me to be more laid back. I have become a less stressed out person. I realize now that if things don´t go as planned, well the sky isn´t falling, is it? I will still be alive, I will still have my loving family and friends, and life will go on. 

2. Personal Motivation - Okay, to be honest I am still working on this one. But I will say my personal motivation skills have certainly improved considering I run on a regular basis without having a sport (well....lately I´ve been slacking...) and I do well in school and on tests despite that little voice in my head that tells me all my grades here don´t even count for anything and that even if I fail, it doesn´t even matter. 

3. Independence - I believe myself to be a very independent person to begin with, but coming to Spain has shown me a whole new level of independence. I can take busses and taxis by myself. I can approach strangers to ask questions (and in a different language), I can use an ATM (which may not be so good..), I can buy tickets and take trains by myself. Oh, the taste of independence :)

4. How to properly eat an orange. - This one speaks for itself. In the US I avoided eating oranges that were not precut becuase I didn´t understand how to eat one. Now I can.

5. How to change the television setting to english Oh it is God. I can watch my favorite shows. In English.

6. That walking is actually a valid form of transportation I swear I walk like 5 miles a day. In the US...well I walked to my car, what 50 feet?

Yeah those last few were kind of a joke...but in all honesty...eating an orange is tricky!

Miss everyone. Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment