Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase, if you pursue happiness you'll never find it." -CP Snow

So. I know its wednesday, and I wrote not too long ago, but these last three days (today in particular) have just been amazing. I haven´t really done anything out of the ordinary, but finally things are just falling into place. Things that have been building for awhile and getting better gradually. As the quote says, at first, when I first got here I was looking for a certain happiness that I had in mind. But, I was looking to hard. Sometimes you just have to just let it happen, without too many expectations.

I don´t really know how to explain. But I guess, I finally feel like I belong here. The Romero´s have felt like family for a long time, but now I feel even more like a part of the family and I dread the idea of leaving (so I´d rather not even talk about that). Maria and I are getting along great. My host parents and I get along great. They help me out when I need it, and I help them out by cleaning off the table after dinner and all that.

Pablo and I are like siblings, but without the fighting. Pablo and I have a, I help you, you help me sort of relationship. But despite the fact that he is my 11 year old little host brother with a minor language barrier, we just sort of understand each other, if that makes any sense. Today, we made pizza together for dinner (which my host mom enjoyed), plus I helped him with his math. I felt so accomplished after he exclaimed, "I understand! I get it now!" after my aid (mind you terrible spanish math words attempts).
When I first got here he didnt quite know what to do with me. He didn´t know where we stood (nor did I for that matter) because I´m older, but becuase I didnt speak spanish, I was sort of an equal becuase I didn´t know how things worked around here. So, after 5 months of me being here, we finally arent awkward, and we actually talk... :)

Also, today at school I had one of the best days ever. I realized today that my friends arent just my friends becuase I am the "american" and felt bad I knew nobody and all that. They actually enjoy my company. I knew that before, but today it just really showed. I am good enough friends with them that I can steal their sweaters to try it on and they can joke about how big it is. Or good enough friends that we spend the whole class drawing each other pictures that say, "te quiero" with our names. They are good enough friends that they make sure I am alright if I seem a little off. We are good enough friends that they help me to understand no matter how many times I say, "¿quee?" and they actually listen to what I have to say, despite my horrific grammar. They are the best friends an exchange student would ever want :) les quiero.

Anddd in school today I gained the respect of the other half of my class who havent really necesarily been too interested in me. Not that they are mean or anything, they just don´t care that I exist, which I dont really care either. But today, I was sort of forced to spend time with them, and I wasn´t gunna just sit there dumbly. So, now they know alittle more about me, and they know that I can actually speak spanish, and that yes, I do understand what they say. And turns out, hey! they actually like me, who new the american could be so cool? They even invited me to go out with them sometime, go figure.

Well thats all for today. España<3 I never want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment