Friday, December 23, 2011

tenth day of christmas.

Okay. I have lost my momentum, and 10 things is too hard to come up with.
But on a good note I had an awesome day!

I didnt have school so i got up around 10, ate some cereal with Teresa, and then cleaned my room. Well, my room is actually pretty clean here (no laundry on the floor or anything, be proud mom) However, being me, everything cant be perfectly clean, so of course my closet is exploding. You open it up and literally my clothes attack you. My wardrobe has probably tripled since i got here...I have no idea how I am going to bring it all home....but i have 6 more months to buy more stuff and worry about it later :) I also watched some TV shows on my computer that I was behind on (Bones!!! I love that show so much...)

Then after lunch I recieved a package from home. However it had stuff for christmas in it so I cant open that stuff til christmas. My 18 year old host sister helped me open it and was almost more excited than me that I got a package!

After that I went out with my friends, Mariely and Anca to the movies. We saw "Dont be Afraid of the Dark", a horror movie. Here in Spain, horror movies usually dont scare me becuase they are in spanish, so i dont fully understand whats happening. However, now since I can actually understand 100% better this movie freaked me out! It was crazy. This movie was one of my turning points, like not once did i think to myself, "i wish i understood" or anything like that. I can honestly say I understoon at least 95% of what was said during the whole movie :)

After the movie I talked with anca and Mariely as we walked to Mariely´s house where Anca and Mariely were going and near where my bus stop is. We talked about how we each celebrate christmas. How Anca celebrates the holidays with her romanian family, how Mariely celebrates the holidays in her family becuase her mom is french, and how i celebrate the holidays in the US. They were all so interesting to hear. I also sort of realized that Anca, Mariely and I are a pretty diverse group of friends. Each talking with each other in our second language, because my first language is english; anca´s first language is Romanian, and I am pretty sure that Mariely speaks french at home even though she grew up in spain, so its not necesarily her only first language, she learned french and spanish at the same time. I just think that it is cool, that we all speak two languages :)

When I got home after walking that mile or so from the bus stop to my house at 11pm..alone. I saw a package on the counter. Another package for me:) I began to open it and immediatly my little brother cam e running over and asked me what was inside. He helped me open it and when i pulled out his birthday gift his whole face lit up. Oh so precious :) I love my host brother.
I also explained to him the meaning of a lot of the things that got sent to me. My family sent me a package for making sugar cookies, and I explained how we make those for Santa Claus to eat when he comes. They also sent me the book "Twas the Night Before Christmas", which my family and I read every year together. It was one of those books you can record, so thats what my family did. My host mom had come into the kitchen by this time, so we listened to the book together (not that she understood much, but she enjoyed hearing my family´s voices and Fede´s voice in the end) I think I am going to work with Maria to translate the book into spanish, so that my family and I here can record the pages in spanish so when i return to the US next christmas I will have a piece of spanish with me on christmas :)

I love my family :) Both of them, at home in the US and here my new home in Spain :)
1 day til christmas (and despite the packages, it still just doesnt feel the same :/)

No comments:

Post a Comment