Monday, February 27, 2012

"Faster, faster 'til the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

I have some down time on my vacation this afternoon, so I figured I fill everybody in, and then go study.
We left Malaga at 9am on Saturday and drove 6 hours to Siguenza, Spain, where we stayed the night. It was a cute little town.
Then on Sunday we left again, at 9, and drove the remaining 4+ hours to Panticosa. As we were driving through a particulary mountainous area, my host dad told me that normally all of what I am seeing is covered in snow. This year for some reason, there is no snow. We arrived in Panticosa, it was 60 degrees and sunny, and only dirty piles of snow here or there clearly left overs from piles made by plows. I looked at the mountain where we were supposedly going skiing, and all I saw was dirt. My heart sank. I wanted snow. I imagined this place like a winter wonderland, or at least an inch of snow and a least a little chilly. But, my host dad assured me that we can still go skiing becuase they have fake snow.

This morning we got up and left to go skiing at guess! 9am, and skiied all day (with an hour lunch break) until 4. The mountains here are absolutlty gorgeous, despite the lack of snow and sort of depressing look the mountain has becuase it is all brown. Only about half of the ski trails were open, but there is practically no one here, so we could go where ever we wanted without having to wait in lines.
At first I figured that most of the older kids in the family would be better than me (oh right, we came here with 4 of my host dad´s brothers and their families, so we got the whole crew. We are a group of 28 people) I figured they´d be better than me becuase they ski here every year for a week since around 2003, so I figured the kids would be well seasoned to skiing, and pick it back up again. However, to my delight (I dont really like it when people are better than me at things) I am still one of the most skilled skiiers of the group. Only a few of my host dad´s brothers can keep up with me. To relate to the quote, I just sorta go straight down the mountain, like usual and my whole host familt is convinced I´m insane. But I can handle that.

We will ski from 9am til 5pm everyday until friday. and after 5 we usually just have down time where I can study. I also think one of these afternoons we are going to go to a spa resort aparently one of the best ones in spain. :)

Well thats all for now. Here are some pictures.

The castle of singuenza

My host dad and my little cousin looking down a well



Me and my cousin Susanna in Singuenza

Our hotel in Panticosa


maria on the mountain



my friend Javi snowboarding

A wierd type of lift, it literally pulls ou up the moutain...



My host brother pablo

pablo again


another type of lift, you stand on the strip, like those
things in airports to help you go fast, but this goes uphill

No comments:

Post a Comment