Monday, November 7, 2011

“To my mind, the only possible pet is a cow. Cows love you. . . . They will listen to your problems and never ask a thing in return. They will be your friends forever. And when you get tired of them, you can kill and eat them. Perfect.” - Bill Bryson

So, to explain the quote.....
Well....I was looking for a "friends forever" quote to describe all the kids at my AFS orientation, because we share a common bond of living in a foreign country and that is a bond that really pulls people together and we have become friends that I know none of us will forget. So, in looking for a good quote I found this one. It made me laugh so hard, its terrible, but hilarious. I thought I would share it.

So this past weekend I went to Cordoba with AFS for an orientation. The whole weekend was basically activities and talking about how things are going. During most of the orientation I almost felt bad, because everyone had some sort of problem or issue with their family, but I don´t. I love the Romero´s and I wouldn´t trade them for any other family. I am doing well in school (however my school may be changed due to terrible public school systems and well, just kids that I cannot connect with, but that is last resort).

During this weekend I have realized that I need to find more to do with my time to be more social. I have looked up photography classes, horseback riding lessons, art classes, scouts, and volunteer things I could do. But a lot of things cost a lot of money. If you have any suggestions please, please, please, email me!

Also in Cordoba we saw La Mezquita. It was built by muslims to be a mosque, however once the romans took over and the king demanded a Catholic church be built, the city began to tear down the mosque. On a trip through the south of Spain, the king saw them tearing down the Mosque and ordered them to stop. He realized that the building is beautiful and that is does not diserve to be torn down, so, he built the Cathedral smack dab in the middle of the mosque. Now, la Mezquita is one of only 2 places (the other being in Turkey) where both the muslim religion and the Catholic religion are represented in one place.

So, now I have two pretty mellow weeks. I have another strike at school next thursday. Tomorrow I am going to the police station to get my extended visa.

Oh, and my best friend here, Annika, the girl from Switzerland, goes home in three weeks :(
we are both very upset. But I will do my best to manage once she leaves, and I really need to step up on my friends making skills before she leaves so I am not left here with nobody to spend my weekends with. I mean I will always have maria´s friends, but I want some people to call my own.

Un abrazo! I miss everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment