Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." - Albert Einstein

This week was pretty uneventful, including the weekend. I honestly did nothing except go to school and then come home and study.
Well, I guess my life here in Spain isn´t that boring. I mean, how could it be? I am in another country. So here are some everyday things that I have just simply gotten used to, but are different from the US.


PE CLASS. Who would have thought that PE would actually be teaching physical education. PE in my school is not just playing games or playing sports, it is like legitamate working out. We pass medicine balls, we run laps (of the gym...), do push ups and sit ups, we do improvised versions of aerobics, basically everything you can think of. So, every Tuesday and Thursday I get a pretty good workout. Also, all the kids in my class are realllly out of shape. I mean, most spainards are out of shape...but it is hilarious in PE class because I will be doing fine the whole class and everyone else will be like panting and sweating a whole bunch. And after class all the guys always high-five me and say "¡Que atleticaa!" (literally.."how athletic!") and call me a "deportista" (I do not know the indirect translation...but its basically someone who does sports)
TEACHER´S NAMES. Yeah, my biology teacher isn´t SeƱor Fernandez, the students call him Eduardo. My math teacher? Maria. My french teacher? Rosa. My philosophy teacher? Carmelo. You get the picture? All of the teachers go by first names. It is something I am just soo not used too yet. I cannot get myself to address a teacher with their first name, so I just don´t address them at all...
STUDENT WORK ETHIC. So basically everyone here, in my public school anyway, doesn´t care about school. If you don´t do well on a test, whatever. If you fail the class, whatever. They simply retake the year. I have 18 year olds and 19 year olds in my class, my class of 11th graders. Seniors? Some are even 20 years old. They simply just don´t care. I mean, there are some kids who do, but probably like 20% of the school...

Those are just a few things that came right to my head.

Some things to look forward to:  (I am suppperrrr excited for these next two weeks!)
Thursday, October 27 - Ice Skating field trip for PE...I can´t wait to show up the rest of the kids in my class. I will be better at something than them!
Friday, Octover 28 - Tuesday, November 1st (november already???) - Voy a ir a MADRID<3, y Toledo, y Segovia. I can´t wait!
The weekend after that (4th and 5th I believe..) - Cordoba for an AFS thing with all the exchange students from Andalucia.

No comments:

Post a Comment